Tuesday, November 3

What the blog?

Tonight's blog was going to be a pattern for a scarf I designed. I decided to put that off for another time because getting a picture of it online is a bit too daunting at this time of night. For appropriate backstory for that statement, please see yesterday's post about wanting a computer that isn't held together with duct tape and string. I'm exaggerating about the computer of course, but it can take hours to get pictures uploaded, and I'm too much of a perfectionist to use a camera phone picture taken at night.

I've been pondering what kinds of information to reveal about myself on this blog. I know that I could rarely be accused of "oversharing" in regular life, but I am also aware that I've linked to this website from Ravelry and FB and other social networking sites. My intention was to share creative things I'd made and witty thoughts and stories, and perhaps other people's creative processes and products. Sitting down at the keyboard tonight brought up all kinds of old baggage, which I really wasn't expecting.

If this is purely an Artist's Way style creative exercise or a personal therapy session, then maybe I should make it more anonymous. At this point I'm using my real first name, and an online nickname known to many friends, co-workers and work-acquaintances.

Today I'm feeling frustrated at work, broke, lonely, cold and tired. I made an agreement with myself to write every day this month, so here I am. Today isn't a very good day, and today's blog isn't a very good blog.

At one point in my life I was a pretty good writer. Then, for a variety of reasons that I won't get into today, I stopped, and picking it us again is nothing like riding a bicycle. It feels more like some analogy that is escaping me at the moment.

More tomorrow.

p.s. Ira Glass reminds us that creative excellence takes time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hidvElQ0xE

No comments:

Post a Comment